top of page

2022 MT Religious Exemption

Updated: Apr 10, 2022

Commonly asked questions about MT Religious Exemptions. Download the form at the end of this post.

Which schools does exemption apply to?

Quick answer: all public and private schools from preschool to postsecondary.

Pursuant to MCA 20-5-402. 8) "School" means a place or institution for the teaching of individuals, the curriculum of which is composed of the work of:

(a) any combination of kindergarten through grade 12;

(b) a postsecondary school; or

(c) a preschool.

Must I use the DPHHS form?

Quick answer: Yes for all public and private schools as defined above. It is legally required to use the Department form.

Pursuant to MCA 20-5-405. (1) (a) There is a religious exemption to the immunizations required under MCA 20-5-403. A person enrolled or seeking to enroll in school may attend the school without obtaining the immunizations if the person files with the governing authority a notarized affidavit on a form prescribed by the department stating that immunization is contrary to the religious tenets and practices of the signer.

Do you have to prove you belong to a church or religion?

No, you do not need to prove or provide anything additional.

What if my school asks me to sign anything else after I submit my exemption form?

If you do not agree with it, you don't need to sign anything.

Do I need to submit the form annually?

No, this was changed with the passage of HB 334 in 2021 and the annual requirement was removed. You will only need to turn in your copy to a newly enrolled school when your child is moving from one school to another, i.e. from elementary to high school.

Why is the DPPHS form missing immunizations against some diseases like HPV, flu and meningococcal?

Quick Answer: if it is not on the form, schools cannot require your child to be immunized against those diseases! Immunity to a disease must be listed in the law to be required.

Pursuant to MCA 20-5-403. Pupils up to K12 must be immunized against varicella, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, poliomyelitis, rubella, mumps, and measles (rubeola) in the manner and with immunizing agents approved by the department; and have been immunized against Haemophilus influenza type "b" (HiB) before enrolling in a preschool if under 5 years of age;

Pupils of postsecondary schools must have been immunized against rubella and measles (rubeola) in the manner and with immunizing agents approved by the department.

Important note: the governing authority of a postsecondary school may, as a condition of attendance, impose immunization requirements that are more stringent than those required by the law but those requirements are still subject to the exemptions provided for in MCA to MCA 20-5-405.

Download the DPHHS RE form:

HES113 2021 Religious Exemption
Download PDF • 256KB

158 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page